Saturday, April 27, 2013

To Read Reviews or Not To Read Reviews...that is the question

I was on one of the many websites I have been on lately with other cruisers. You can find cruise reviews on the ship, service, excursions, and many other things. One of the reviews I read was from a first time cruiser who was disappointed with her experience. There is one thing to keep in mind – all vacations are not perfect (though many come pretty close).

Cruising for me is the perfect vacation. You unpack once and you wake up in different places each morning. You cannot beat it. I totally understand that taking a cruise is not for everyone.

I believe this particular reviewer had set her expectations really high and was let down. For example, today I was looking at Carnival’s website. It boasts about spacious staterooms. I’m sorry, anyone who has been on a ship (unless you are in a suite) the staterooms are anything BUT spacious. Room service, while it is convenient, usually only has fruit, sandwiches and pizza. It is your best bet to go get something and bring it back to the cabin yourself. Some people see room service and think that a full menu is available – NOT ALWAYS.

On my first cruise, I did not see my cabin steward until about 4 days in because he would come in while we were gone and do what he had to do. We joked about him either being on the balcony or under the bed because no matter the length of time we were gone – he would come in, straighten up and leave before we returned.

I would suggest to anyone going on their first cruise to leave your expectations open. Cruises are wonderful vacations with great ports; you get spoiled because the staff go above and beyond to make your experience memorable. When the ship pulls away from the dock, leave your worries, pressures and stress right there until you get back. Grab a deck chair and just look into the horizon – what a beautiful sight.

No comments: