Friday, July 16, 2010

Here's to Las Vegas



Despite all of the travel woes I encounted upon my return, I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Vegas. I stayed at the Hilton, and enjoyed it as much as I always did. It feels comfortable. I know where things are, the workers are nice, the rooms are clean and the rates are GREAT. It is easy to get to the strip via the Monorail.

The atmosphere is different since Barry is no longer there. The M Store is now an art gallery and utilizes only half of what was the M Store. They are currently working on the other half so it will be interesting to see what it will be next time I go there. Fortuna has expanded and has a lot more seating (they should have had more of that when all of the Fanilows were there). Some of the machines have been moved out and couches have replaced them; again, we needed that when we took over the place.

One bit of Manilow residue is still there, the sign heading in the direction of the North Tower still has Manilow Store listed. When I saw it, I couldn't do anything except smile.

The shows were great; I am glad I went to the convention shows and did not pay all of the money for the convention. It seems that there were quite a few of us with the same thought because from what I hear it was just as many of us there NOT attending that attended. The conventions used to be so much fun but the seats have always sucked and I never thought it was fair considering the money that is paid for the event. I went to the shows this time (without the convention activities) and had just as much fun and had BETTER seats (can you say 3rd row). I never understood how a civilian could go to ticketmaster and get a better seat than a fan going to a fan club event. No explanation has ever been made to make me understand it.

The show was absolutely beautiful and I never thought I would say this but I like it better than the Hilton show. Do not get me wrong, the Hilton show was awesome but this is even MORE awesome.

One thing with the change in venue is the change of I guess the best way to say it is attitudes. The people at Manilow shows have always been friendly and personable but I didn't feel the same thing during the shows I attended. I guess the best way to put it is snooty. I don't do snooty, in fact, I HATE snooty. Other than some of the pompous attitudes, I really enjoyed myself when the lights went down and the show began.

I am so glad that I was able to do other things as well. Phantom of the Opera was AWESOME! If you have not seen it, you MUST. I was able to go backstage and I met the gentleman that played the Phantom. He was so personable. He explained that the production cost $35 million compared to the $13 million production on Broadway. The singing was absolutely beautiful and the special effects WOW!

This trip was one for the record books or should I say memory books. I cannot wait to go back. I just need to break out the calendar and decide when.

2 comments:

Survivor said...

I'm so glad I got to meet you...and you are so right, those shows are just beautiful..some of the songs might be the same but somehow the theatre and all that goes with it just makes it feel like a brand new adventure.

Peachy said...

You are right. I sure hope it gets recorded for DVD. It is such a beautiful show.