Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Tribute....Yeh Right

I watched about 10 minutes of the so called tribute to Michael Jackson on the BET Awards Sunday. That was 10 minutes of my life that I can never get back. I have seen clips and I see that I really didn't miss much. I do wish I had seen Janet come to make the family's statement.

It was advertised that the show was revamped after his passing with artists coming in to pay tribute to him. The beginning was okay with Jamie Foxx (who is not one of my favorite actors) doing dance moves and singing. New Edition performed the Jackson 5 hits well. Then the show went into it's usual lineup with a little Michael thrown in. I think it was an attempt, and probably a successful one, to get people to watch that probably wouldn't normally watch the screech and rap fest.

Personally, I think if you are going to do a tribute, it should be a tribute and that's it. Why sprinkle in the tributes? Why throw something together?

For the contributions he made to the music industry, there should be tribute done with artists performing his music. They definitely have enought to choose from.

The attempt Sunday might have been a sincere gesture, but it sucked in my opinion.

No comments: