Monday, April 6, 2009

Rain Rain Finally Went Away!

Last week, we experienced over 14" of rain. Some people had flashblacks to 1994 when we had The Flood of the Century.

We have new people at my job that moved here recently and have no idea of Georgia rains. I don't know how many times I had to explain that these rains were NOTHING like those we experienced in 1994.

Our river, the Flint River, runs to the Gulf of Mexico, and its flood stage is 20' and these rains will crest the river at 29'. In 1994, the river crested at 45'. So, we are no where NEAR the big flood we have. But the new folks here still see a lot of water and are freaking out.

I had never seen anything like it. Our house was not in danger, thank God, but I had family members that were affected. Two of my aunts homes had over 6' of water in there. They lost everything. The home that my grandmother used to live was flooded and they eventually tore it down.

I don't need to see this kind of rain and flood again. Rain, rain, STAY AWAY!

No comments: