Wednesday, April 22, 2009

At the Movies

Movies are not what they used to me. Nowadays you might catch a good one here and there. I really enjoy classic movies.

Back in the day, the movies had great story lines and good acting. There was not all the blood, gore and explosions. Wait a minute, I have to admit, I do enjoy gunfire now and then. But, I have to add that a good storyline should be surrounding it.

The movies may have implied sexuality, but the hot and steamy love scenes were not there. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not a prude or anything but think about it. Think of a movie now, with the exception of Basic Instinct, pull the sexy love scene out - did it change the storyline at all? Was the story altered at all?

Horror movies, is the blood and gore really necessary? For me, the suspense is what does it. The blood does nothing for me. Give me suspense and a great spooky music soundtrack.

Speaking of suspense, Alfred Hitchcock was the master of suspense. Psycho, the horror movie of its time, but, even in the shower scene - you saw Janet Leigh, you saw what was supposed to be the blood and you saw the knife. However, you never saw the knife piercing her scene but it still made people afraid to take a shower. A little tidbit about that scene, the "blood" going down the drain was actually chocolate syrup because Hitchcock thought it looked more like blood on the black and white film. There has not been a suspense artist like him sense.

There are some good directors on the scene now; you cannot go wrong with the likes of Steven Spielberg, Ron Howard, Jon Turtletaub and a few others. Actors and actresses now are few and far between - thank heaven for Meryl Streep, Halle Berry, Cicely Tyson, Tom Hanks, John Travolta and of course my baby daddy Denzel!

No comments: