Sunday, February 1, 2009

I Hear Voices


I know how strange that sounds, but if you are a writer - you can relate.

The other morning at around 4am, my eyes flew wide open. Why? The characters in my current story would not shut up. I am at what is called the "arc" and building to the climax of the book, and now everyone wants a part.

I could not get back to sleep. Everything started coming to me. I have a brief outline, but in those early morning hours, it was all coming together in my head.

Why don't they speak when I am staring at a blank sheet of paper? Who knows? This is the exact reason why I always keep paper and a pen next to the bed because you never know when inspiration will hit you.

I have attended writng conferences when other authors have spoken about characters talking to them. We all understood because it has happened to us at one point or another. If they are not invading our dreams, then they are trying to work their way into a story, even if it isn't their time (like when you are writing another story).

Tell a shrink you are hearing "voices" - they will want to have you committed. Tell someone else who writes or does something creative - they will say go with it and see where it takes you.

1 comment:

texas_fan said...

I totally relate. It happens to me at the oddest time. The last time I was doing dishes. I had to stop and go make some notes.

PS Love your new pic at the top of the blog.