Sunday, May 27, 2012

In Memory of Monica Jackson

Back in the mid-1990s, BET Books published African American romances. While I have always read romances (Harlequin mainly), I went into the bookstore and found romances with African Americans on the cover. During that time, I remember a few that were the first BET authors I read - Brenda Jackson, Francis Ray, Carmen Green, Monica Jackson and a few others. One of Monica's books was made into a BET movie - Midnight Blue. She had other books to follow, and she freely shared her writing advice with anyone who asked. I corresponded with her with some writing questions in the past; she was friendly and offered her knowledge and wished me luck in my endeavors. So often you hear of authors forgetting they once were aspiring, but Monica's blog and her writing articles provided even the aspiring authors hope to be where she was. RIP - Monica Jackson. Your stories are part of your legacy and you will be missed.

No comments: