Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Who Cares about CoCo?

I just had to chime in on this. I have never been and probably never will be a Conan O'Brien fan. His humor is just not my taste. Uhm, I'm about to insert my opinion here - I think that his ego grew back a few years ago when he was appointed heir to The Tonight Show legacy. Well, we all know that didn't work out too well for him.

His ego was not the only reason for that failure, I think it was a combination of things; ego was a part, but I think the 11:30pm crowd was another part of the "failure equation." The fans that like him at Late Night were not the Tonight Show fans. Was it because his crowd was still out partying when he moved to 11:30, or were they not drunk enough to think he was funny at 11:30, I don't know. I do know that his move was not a good thing and NBC yanked the rug from under him - with a quickness.

Could it have been done better? Sure, but we all know when it comes to business, that phrase is always used - a phrase that I hate. "It's not personal, it's just business." Well, it is personal - maybe not to the person using it but it could be very personal to be person to whom they are speaking. Ok, I digress - back to the Conan issue.

He has moved to TBS, yes TBS. The promos have hyped him up bit time. and looks like they spent a lot of money on them. I sure hope they get what they paid for.

First week ratings are good, but take away the curious watchers that want to see if he is really funny, the other watchers who want to see what he is going to say about Leno and NBC, then there are the real fans (well, the ones that are not out partying and not passed out from alcohol yet).

I want to see what the ratings are like in a month or two. If they are the same - THEN I will be impressed.

No comments: