Friday, January 30, 2009

Platinum Experience

A friend forwarded me a blog from the Manilow Network regarding the platinum experience. It was a very good blog, and made perfect sense.

To think you will go in there and Barry will look into your eyes and invite you into his inner circle is not only impossible but it is delusional.

When I decided to do platinum last year, I wanted to tell Barry how much I have enjoyed his music over the years, and actually get a chance to meet the man that was responsible for that. I had no other preconcieved ideas of what the meeting would be like. I guess having daydreams or hopes are normal, but some let that override reality.

If you are reading this and have a platinum coming up, remember this:

BREATHE

Have what you want to say rehearsed and memorized

The Barry you meet will be a toned down version of the Barry we see on stage

Do not ask for a hug or kiss, follow his lead (the Stiletto crew will tell you this before going in)

Don't say anything that might embarass you or Barry (your time will be cut REALLY short)


I will always cherish the time that I spent with him, and not a day goes by that I don't look at my picture and say "I really met Barry."

Ask anyone that had a platinum experience, they will probably tell you the same thing. He was a complete gentleman who makes you feel that the two of you are the only ones in the room.

I will never forget it.

No comments: