Thursday, November 13, 2008

Luther Vandross


Luther Vandross

4/20/1951 - 7/1/2005


You know I am on a Luther Vandross kick lately. I have been listening to my Vandross collection and his voice is so wonderful, and so soothing. Like Barry, his career was connected to Bette Midler as well.

He had such a style, and could sing a ballad that made you want a cigarette after he finished. I had the opportunity to see him live and his shows were better than any album.

When he had his stroke, it seemed impossible that voice was silenced. After a year, pictures of him with his backup singers started to circulate and hope filled the air. His speech was not perfect, but they got together with him and made him sing. The look on his face was priceless because those people obviously cared so much for him.

I was listening to the radio and heard that he died. I cried, I listened to his albums and I cried. Sometimes when I hear certain songs now, I still cry. His mother just passed away this year, she outlived her husband and each of her children. Now, they are all together again.

The loss of Luther left a void in the music industry and the world....but through his songs, his voice will always be around.

No comments: