Saturday, February 12, 2011

Just Wondering

When I opened up my browser this morning, one of the entertainment gossip articles I found was Justin Timberlake turned down Glee using his music for an episode.

We all know Glee has become a huge hit, and from the clips I've seen (since I don't watch the show) they usually do a pretty good job dedicating an entire episode to a particular artist.

Remember back in the 80's Weird Al Yankovic would do spoofs of songs, I'm sure he was turned down as well but he spoofed a lot of popular songs. In the end, both he and the original artist did well – all the way to the bank.

GLEE is no different, and the kids on the show actually sing the songs. I haven't watched the show, but it appears to be enjoyable by those who do view it each week.

I said all of that to say, what's the big deal? Is he afraid they will do a better job? If he looked at it from a business standpoint - if they did use his music, it would probably boost his sales and introduce him to some who didn't know some of it. It is not like he has a huge catalog. I mean seriously now, Michael Jackson's music has been used - does he really think???? (I won't even finish that thought because I'm sure you all know how I feel about Michael)

This situation brings to mind something I read years ago when the new Star Wars trilogy was being done. Hayden Christensen was also caught up in his own hype and made the comment in an interview how he did not want to be defined as the actor who played Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader. Well, honestly, he could be associated with worse right? The Star Wars franchise is not a bad place to be. Now we are like Hayden who? On the other hand, Natalie Portman was in the same movies and she’s everywhere.

Watch what you say and do, it may quicken your move to the forgotten pile.

No comments: