Monday, March 30, 2009

That's What Friends Are For

friend (frnd)
n.
1. A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts.
2. A person whom one knows; an acquaintance.
3. A person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause; a comrade.
4. One who supports, sympathizes with, or patronizes a group, cause, or movement


Those are the definitions offered for the word FRIEND in the real world.

There should be an amendment or should I say addendum to the word in the Manilow world. Because a friend falls under any of those definitions as long as you follow their lead and do what they say.

For some of the cliques, that's how it goes. Just as in high school, there's a leader and the minute anyone shows a mind of their own - they are cast out. Have a thought of your own? Surely you jest.

I call people like that fairweather friends because you are only someone to follow their lead. You are not really a friend. People are usually brought together by a common interest or interests, but we are not in Stepford are we? Friends don't have to always agree, they do not have to like ALL of the same things - if that was the case then the friendship would not be too interesting.

I have been involved in "toxic" friendships in the past, but thankfully I saw the light. I have ONE mother, and that is the only person on the face of this earth that can tell me what to do and I would listen. (She doesn''t even do that, but I am using that as an example to say there is no way in the Hell some other person will tell me what to do, when to do it, and how without getting cursed out royally). These so-called friends wanted to always travel together, always do things together and thought we should travel as a pack. Come on - that is high school stuff and I am no longer there. But, they would get mad when I said I wasn't interested in something or I spoke up and did not agree with something they said or did.

Oh please, that's not for me. I am an individual and I have no problem being by myself. Being with friends is wonderful, but for me, it is not a necessity and I am thankful of that. The thing is, if you cannot be good company to yourself, how can you be good company to anyone else right?

Moral of the story: Don't follow the leader, be an individual and have fun!

Reason of the story: I found some so-called close friends are not so close. The nosey person in me SURE wants to know what happened. I am sure it is juicy. Guess I will just have to use my imagination and speculate when I write the next installment of As the Manilow World Turns *Jaws theme plays*

2 comments:

texas_fan said...

Great post D. It's the gang mentality. And it permeates the Manilow world. The reason gangs flourish is because of weak wills. The gang members can't stand up to the leader and voice an opinion. And if they do, they are punished, cast out. ostracized from the gang. You never know who will join the gang and which "so-called" friend might sign up. But, it's ALL a question of will.

you begin again.... said...

And people wonder why you can't find my name anywhere and why I haven't gotten into fan club stuff and other "activities" around shows....
You summed it up.