Monday, February 23, 2009

Madea Goes To Jail

Okay, here is my attempt at being a movie critic. Mind you, I am not. I am just here to offer my opinion, and those are a dime a dozen right?

I love Tyler, I really do. I think he is very talented and his characters are universal, they are not black or white, the problems he discusses can be in any family.

Okay, all of that being said...

I enjoyed the movie, there were truly some funny parts in there, but when is there not when Mabel "Madea" Simmons is involved. I do not think it is his best work, and when I was thinking about it - this is what I figured out.

In previous works - Diary of a Mad Black Woman and Madea's Family Reunion, Madea was not on camera any more than this particular film. The missing factor was the storyline was not as interesting as the previous two films. The backstory in this film just did not do it for me. The story involved Keisha Knight Pulliam (yes, Rudy from The Cosby Show) and Derek Luke. They were childhood friends that shared a secret that made me want to scream and say "OK, what is it?" when they kept referring to it and never elaborating on it until about halfway the film.

Diary has the love story with Kimberly Elise and Shemar Moore, then her crazy husband was thrown into the mix. Family Reunion had two stories involving Boris Kodjoe, Lynn Whitfield, Blair Underwood and others; a love story and another story with a couple bound to break up because of his abusive ways. Madea was added in there for comedic moments, and it just enhanced the film.

This one just could not hold its own without Madea, and her presence was really missed. Again, I do not regret going to see it because it was funny when she was onscreen, but other than that - I wasn't feeling it.

No comments: