Saturday, February 7, 2009

How Many Is Too Many?

The PR person hired to represent the woman in California that just delivered eight…count them eight babies … said that when America hears the mother’s story “we will be amazed.”

No, I don’t think I will be amazed.

What amazes me is:

Why would a single, unemployed woman with six children under 8, go to have another one implanted?

That is what amazes me. Well one thing would amaze me, if she got pregnant WITHOUT fertility treatments or IVF. Then, I will be amazed. The odds of that happening is slim to none, so back to reality.

She was on the Today Show and said that she was an only child and always wanted a big family. Okay ... still waiting on the amazement part the PR person said we'd experience.

The people of California will foot the bill for their neonatal medical care (which is estimated to end up in the millions by the time it is over). Not only the public assistance she will surely end up on, the development of these children may be slow. Look at the septuplets that were born, I believe some of them were 2 and 3 years old before they even walked. They were small for their ages, etc.

My grandmother had fifteen way back in the day, and they were spaced so far apart that my mother has nieces and nephews older than her. During that time, many people had large families, and they had ways to provide for them. In today's economy, it is difficult to provide for families with one or two children.

Granted, you do not know what you would do in a situation until you are in it, but I can honestly say if I had six children, I am sure KNOW I would not try to have anymore.

Now, most haven't even discussed the ethical and safety standpoint against a multiple birth this large. According to doctors, eight embryos should not have even been implanted, so why were they? And, a uterus is not supposed to carry that many children.

Someone really dropped the ball on this one. If they ever find out, they will have some serious (in Ricky Ricardo’s voice) ‘xplaining to do.

On the upside, the children are breathing on their own which is truly a miracle, but they surely have a long road ahead of them. I am sure it is not the end of this story … by a long shot.

No comments: