Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Wonderful Wizard of Oz



The movie sparks so many memories for me, and I don't care how many times I watch it there are parts that make me chuckle.

I had a co-worker in Los Angeles, who was a Wizard of Oz collector. The wall in his office had prints of different scenes from the movie. Every time I watch it, I think of him.

The movie was a series of children books written by L. Frank Baum. He died before the story made it to the big screen in the 30s. There was a movie made about Baum, and I remember it played on NBC. John Ritter was L. Frank Baum and his wife was played by Annette O'Toole. It was a very interesting movie, but I have never seen it rerun again. The name of it was Dreamer of Oz.

On one of my trips to DC, I had to go to the Smithsonian, and why? I had to see the television and movie memorabilia. I wanted to see Fonzie's jacket, Howdy Doody, and the (you guessed it) ruby shoes from Wizard of Oz. Yes, one of the pairs used in the movies are on display. A movie buff like me was in heaven. Indiana Jones' hat, I Love Lucy memorabilia, Archie Bunker's chair - yes, I had to have a cold drink. I love stuff like that.

For decades, the movie was only played once a year on network television. Well until Ted Turner purchased the rights and it began appearing on his series of networks (Turner Classic Movies, TBS, TNT). I am not upset because it gives me a regular fix for the movie like it did this past weekend.

Those of you that know me, know I love trivia and have a weird knack for keeping useless pieces of information in my head.

QUESTIONS

Why was Buddy Ebsen replaced as the Tin Man?

What were the original color of Dorothy's shoes in the book?

How did L. Frank Baum come up with the name OZ?

Which two characters had children to marry in real life?


Did you answer any? or all?

Now see if they were right.



ANSWERS

Buddy Ebsen had an allergic reaction to the silver dust used as makeup. It filled his lungs and he had to be hospitalized for an extended amount of time, therefore, Jack Haley replaced him AND they decided to not use silver dust as makeup.

The original color of the shoes were silver.

Frank Baum was telling the story, and had not named the city before. When asked, he stared at his file cabinet that had two drawers - one was labeled A - N, the other labeled O - Z, hence OZ.

Judy Garland and Jack Haley. Their children Liza Minnelli and Jack Haley, Jr. were married in the 70s.

One of my favorite quotes from the movies: A heart is not judged by how much you love, but how much you are loved by others.

No comments: