Saturday, November 29, 2008

Greatest Songs of the Eighties


First let me say this cover...is my favorite, and the back it has become my newest favorite picture of Barry.

I have read a few reviews of the CD from others, and a song either makes me feel good and want to hear it again or it doesn't - so I am going to do something different with this review.

Since the 1980s was my high school time, I have memories attached to each song.

Islands in the Stream - I have to admit, I liked Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton's version so I had no doubts that I would enjoy it. I'm crossing fingers, toes, legs, and eyes in hopes that he sings this when I see him next month.

My first thought when I heard it - Seeing Dolly and Kenny on Solid Gold (remember that show, I cannot remember if Dionne Warwick was still hosting it or not) But, I remember seeing Dolly bounce in front of Kenny singing the song.

Open Arms - Love this one.

My first thought when I heard it - Watching this video on MTV. Steve Perry sang this song so differently, but his voice is very different than Barry's. Beautiful song, and the words would really be beautiful no matter who sang it (as long as they can carry a note).

Never Gonna Give You Up - Catchy song.

My first thought when I heard it - I, honestly, thought it was Barry White's song of the same title. I saw the title and thought how in the world Barry was going to pull that one off. He's good but come on Barry - Barry White? Then I found out it was Rick Astley's version. I said, okay then I still couldn't wait to hear it.

Have I Told You Lately - Love this one

My first thought when I heard it - I want to see him sing it live because of the piano solo in the middle. I can picture him with the spotlight on him, and that far away look he gets when he has climbed into a song.

I Just Called to Say I Love You - Stevie's version is still safe in my book. I just can't get it out of my head; I've tried to listen to it for it to grow on me, and it hasn't so hitting the forward button is what I'll do.

My first thought when I heard it - My niece was either 3 or 4. She loved this song, and she was just learning to dial the phone. Ours was the first one she learned. Whenever we picked up, she started to sing this song and being a toddler, she only knew the chorus, so we got it over and over again. LOL

Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now) - Love this one. One of my favorites on the CD.

My first thought when I heard it - Phil Collins. I went through a Genesis and Phil Collins period in high school, so this song was one of my favorites of his and still is.

Careless Whisper - This one is growing on me.

My first thought when I heard it - George Michael and was he gorgeous during that time? When I saw it on QVC, I knew it was going to have to grow on me. I just wasn't feeling it.

Right Here Waiting - Like this one.

My first thought when I heard it - High school prom and Richard Marx's hair.

Arthur's Theme - Love this one.

My first thought when I heard it - Dudley Moore's laugh. The movie was cute with he and Liza Minnelli, but his loud laugh is what echoes in my head.

Hard to Say I'm Sorry - Like his one.

My first thought when I heard it - Peter Cetera's version is still my favorite. Barry does a good job; I just cannot get the original out of my head.

Time After Time - Jury's still out on this one.

My first thought when I heard it - Cyndi Lauper's video with the trailer in the middle of the woods. I am on the fence on this one, not sure if I like it or not.

I've Had the Time of My Life - Like this one.

My first thought when I heard it - Dirty Dancing (of course) and why I cannot get the original version to stop playing in my head. After that, I like it slowed down, and the chuckle at the end is priceless.

******
The 80s was the MTV decade, so each of these songs had a video and you can tell that my memory of a couple of the songs was just that. I miss the videos because they used to tell the story of the song, and you got to see the artist (most of the time). I miss those days.

Overall, I enjoy the CD and have played it over and over. I guess I am one of the few that does not mind the cover songs. I think Barry has a way of making someone else's song his own and it takes you back to revisit songs that we sometimes forget about.

An original album would be lovely, but from the business standpoint, the original albums have not made the money of these cover albums. So, I totally understand the reason for them because in entertainment $$ is the name of the game. We all know it, so just deal.

Back to the CD cover shots - Of the decade CDs, my favorite cover was the 60s - until this one. Those eyes. The man can work a camera can't he?

No comments: